THE RESULTS OF LYING ABOUT ALL DAY IN THE STUDIO STARING AT A CANVAS

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Neahkahnie mountain


 I decided to start a larger piece today. All these little tiny daily paintings are making me crazy! So this will NOT be finished in a day but I thought maybe I'd post  the progress here on my blog just so anyone watching  will see that I do work even when I don't post a daily finished piece. And you might be mildly amused by seeing how I do it. The subject is from a photo I took yesterday from the lookout point on Neahkahnie Mountain looking down at the sea. Neahkahnie is Tillamook Indian for 'God's place'.  Above is the canvas primed and stretched  but not on stretcher bars yet. I didn't want to waste time making stretchers while I was in the mood to paint. I flew at it most of the day and made a pretty good start of it.  I had intended to shoot a couple photos as I went along but ...I forgot.
Above is what I got done on the first day. I shot the photo through my mirror so that I could stand next to the piece and give you some perspective as to the size. It's about 56" x 40". Around  60 times the size of one of my  dailies. I like working large!

No comments:

Post a Comment